Saturday, August 3, 2013

Masks


       Ever since I saw V for Vendetta I have realized that almost all my favorite characters have had some sort of mask. Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Darth Vader, Master Chief- they all have hidden faces.
       I believe that the simple, immobile “face” works because they have been engineered to look like the character’s personality (or the other way around). Plus, they’re just plain cool.
       For example, Master Chief’s helmet, being of military make, shows his strength and determination, while the large, slightly-reflective glass shows that he is reserved. Add his deep, commanding voice, and you have one of the most awe-inspiring characters in any video game.
       While I don’t do much science fiction, which reduces my ability to use such masks, I do have the opportunity in golems. However, rather than making the reserved, stoic, imposing character that are so common, I have made a character that is honest and simple, much like the impression given by Atom from Real Steel.
       I think that this is a great technique for writers to use, though it is more visual than anything else, so a book with illustrations would be able to harness it much more effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment